Head-to-Head Frac Plug Comparison in Northern Colorado
An operator in Northern Colorado's Rocky Mountain region wanted to move from using a conventional plug design to one that was more efficient and would address the following:
- Reduce plug presets.
- Reduce fluid usage getting plug-n-perf gun strings downhole.
- Reduce excessive material on drillout (common to longer plugs).
Downhole Technology proposed using the Boss Hog® ball drop frac plug system with several risk- and cost-reducing features including the following:
- One-piece composite top slip constructed to avoid breakage and presets constructed of carbide-free and ceramic-free mild steel buttons that hold firm, prevent casing damage, and drill out easier than competitor plugs.
- The HELISEAL® fluid control system captures fluid while the plug is pumped down, enabling plugs to be run at speeds up to 900 ft/min while pumping at just 8 bbl/min, even in long lateral sections. Boss Hog plugs use 40% less water to deploy plugs and perforating guns than competitive plug designs.
- The one-piece lower slip, manufactured from a proprietary cast blend, holds more than 15,000 psi pressure, is segmented to make it easy and quick to drill out with minimal casing damage, and prevents presets.
- 40% reduction in pumpdown fluid volume.
- 50% faster plug deployment than competition.
- 12-hour completion time and pumpdown fluid reduction translating into $180,000 savings for operator.